Photo Gallery

Bulimba Shops

Collin's shop near Nuttall Street in Lytton Road in the process of being demolished. The church was forced by the local council to demolish the shop when the new manse was built..(Carey Baptist Church History)

Bulimba Rangers

One of the local soccer teams over the years. Houses in the background have all been removed only a "replica" of Wiltshire cottage and part of the old Bake house remains. Woolworths now sits over the rest of the sites. The names on the photo are from 1924. (Coffee Family Collection)

Tennis

Koala Court consisted of 6 courts between Cambridge and Jamieson St. (Research from Bulimba District Historical Society)

USS Blackfin 1959

The U S Navy were regular visitors to Brisbane. It was possible in those days to go on a tour to see what they were really like to live on. ( Photo found on Facebook)

Bulimba Barracks

Backgrounds become an asset when researching our history. Photos from the river are one of the best sources.(Background photo from 1959 USS Blackfin Facebook)

Navy in Brisbane

HMAS Australia in Brisbane with the Tug Carlock 1950. (Courier Mail Q 150 project)

1907.Bulimba Point

A hand painted Post Card. Quay St shows the trees at the Illidge Family home Brisbane and Quay St. Bulimba House. It is possible the chimney at the Tin Refinery is visible down near the Ferry Terminal. (Photo SLQ 17982)

1951 Flying boats at Colmslie.

A Sandringham Flying boat in distress on the Brisbane River. (Another Q 150 Project Photo from the Courier Mail)

1937 Centaurus

1937 the Centaurus flew into Brisbane on a rade mission to sell the aircraft in Australia. Check out the story and photos on the link below. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article37907232 (Photo courtesy SLQ)

Bulimba Street names

Many street names have been changed over the years. Sometimes there have been at least 3 streets with the same name. Check out your own Steet. You will also notice the hills have been named on this map. (Photo BCC Archive.)

1874

Irvine's Boot Warehouse was one of two shoe shops located down the ferry end of Oxford St, south side of road, during 1874. The shop had a new owner Wm Rappel in 1902. (Photo Carothers Family book "For Maggie Only"J Carothers".) Irvine's moved to Wynnum where they opened the Commonwealth Store.

Candle Works

1908. The Apollo Candle Works was in full swing. 1909 they were experimenting with cotton crops. Unfortunately one of the biggest fires in Brisbane also occurred in 1909 when the candle works was badly damaged.
(Photo from a member original believed to be SLQ photo.)

1927

J Kitchen Soap- Candle Works Cricket Team (Mann family collection)

Year unknown

Some of the workers at the the Candle - Soap Works Bulimba. If you can name any of the others please contact us. (Mann Family Collection)

1945

Presbyterian Church Choir. There were 5 major churches on Bulimba. (Walker Family Collection)

1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32