Francis Wesley Tyler

Francis Wesley Tyler - Military Medal (MM)
9 Sergeant – Returned to Australia (RTA)
Birth: 1 September 1892 Death: 19 April 1924

Francis Wesley Tyler was born in 1892 to William and Anna Tyler who lived in Brisbane Street, Bulimba. He was one of seven children and was enrolled in Bulimba School in 1898. Following school he worked as a book-keeper.

Francis enlisted in Brisbane on 2 February 1916 aged 23 years.

He embarked from Sydney on 5 June 1916 aboard the “HMAT Borda” A30 arriving in England in November with the 11th Machine Gun Company. On 23 November 1916 he was sent to Rouen in France where he served at the 3rd Division Headquarters as a signaller. He continued to serve the Empire in the Great War, his record being 3 1/2 years' service in France.

In August 1918 he was recommended for a Military Medal. He was a non-commissioned officer (NCO) The citation read “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During the operations in the vicinity of Bray from August 22nd to Aug 26th this NCO was in charge of signals at the Battalion Command Post. Through his untiring energy and tenacity of purpose, signal communication was maintained throughout the whole of their operations. He frequently left a place of safety during heavy enemy shelling and personally repaired the lines thus setting a fine example to his linesmen. His gallant work proved to be, on more than one occasion, of vital importance to his battalion.” He was serving in France at the time.

In April 1919 Francis returned from France via Southampton, England and then returned to Australia on 21 June 1919 on the “Konigin Luise” which arrived in Melbourne on 12 August 1919. Francis Wesley Tyler’s Military Medal was approved by King George V in 1919 and was gazetted in the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette and the London Gazette. A copy of the notification was sent to his family in July 1919. Francis Tyler was discharged from the army on 2 October 1919. He helped plant a memorial tree in Bulimba Memorial Park in 1919.

After the war Francis worked as an accountant and was involved in many sports and the Bulimba Methodist Church. For many years he was prominent in yachting circles a keen follower of Rugby League Football, having played B Senior for Bulimba in the years 1921-22, and was secretary of this club for the same term.

Frank Wesley Tyler died on 19 April 1924 at Southport, Queensland. He dived into the water, presumably with the intention of swimming to a boat, but, the water was very shallow, and he struck the bank with considerable force, dislocating his neck. Francis was 31 years of age, unmarried, and lived with his parents in the home of his childhood. He was laid to rest in the Bulimba Cemetery. At the time of his death was a member of the Brisbane 18-Footers' Club, Hamilton Skiff Club, and the Brisbane Restricted Yacht Club.

World War I

  • James (Jimmie) Tait

    James Tait was born in Scotland and his wife Elinor lived in Glasgow during the

    Read more 

  • Alexander Swan Imber

    Alexander Swan Imber was born in Sydney to Catherine and George Imber. The family was

    Read more 

  • Thomas Bartholomew Telford

    Thomas Bartholomew Telford was born in 1895 in Brisbane, Queensland to William and Annie (nee Bartholomew)

    Read more